<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, August 12, 2004

Young on Europe on Sudan 

[NOTE: What follows is the second installation of today's trend toward merely agreeing with other bloggers without adding anything myself]

After examining the EU's non-response to the ongoing atrocities in Darfur, Chris Young calls it like it is:
Look, I'm aware that this is actually a very complicated situation and that some of the measures currently being urged might end up being counterproductive. (I found out recently to my disappointment that, thanks mainly to Russia, Sudan has a discouragingly modern military.) And I do not even know enough about the situation to say definitively that it is a genocide. But it sure looks like one from where I sit, reading the news and feeling very safe and sound in Brooklyn. And so I hope I can be forgiven for saying that instead of calling a spade a spade, the E.U. seems much more inclined to say: "That there spade-like implement you see is not so much a spade as an instrument which might or might not be suited for such work as is conventionally called spading owing to the fact that it has a spade-like shape and might (or might not!) have been designed with spading in mind."

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Referrers: