<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Aught We or Aught We Not? 

There's a very interesting post up on Slate today about why and how much Major League Baseball pitchers stink as batters. I recommend it to anyone with even a marginal interest in baseball.

But that's not why I'm posting. I'm posting because the author of the piece (Nate Silver of Baseball Prospectus) casually tosses this statement into his article:
In the aughts, pitchers are managing an OPS of .365, just 47 percent of that of everyday players.
This is, as far as I can tell without actually bothering to do any research beyond two quick Lexis-Nexis searches, only the third or fourth time in the past year that anybody has bothered to try to give the decade in which we're now living a name.

And I say "hallelujah."

What good are labels like "the eighties" for anything besides VH1 specials? Seriously. I can't tell you how incredibly irritating I find discussions like "what year did the sixties REALLY begin?" And now, thanks to what seems to be a collective inability to find a suitable name for the current decade, we may be entering a golden age where these stupid collective terms fade into the benighted past.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Referrers: